Friday, November 10, 2006

Coffee

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall. Decaf. Cappuccino."
Tom Hanks, as Joe Fox
You've Got Mail
(
of course, would you expect me to quote anything else...)

Today I was dupped into buying a tall black and white mocha for, hold your breath here and take a seat, $3.35! Pah! They never cost that much! Its this stupid lady that likes to charge me for a white mocha instead of a regular one. I just don't like her. humph.
On the other hand, yesterday I went in and my favorite barista gave me a free starbucks drink coupon based soley on what I believe to be my good looks alone.
I mean if I were him it would be difficult to resist something like this:

3 comments:

Katester said...

OMG - that just makes me want to say GRA-CI-AS! and then I'd add a little whistle for good measure.

Lisa said...

I actually really like that picture...I think you look oh so sexy!! AND...I agree with the Starbucks part of your post...coffee is defining (as we've discussed earlier). See... when I'm feeling complicated and hard to understand...I can mumble an order like an "iced grande half-caf, non-fat, extra shot, upside-down, extra carmel, Carmel Macchiato". If I'm feeling rather boring, I just order a tall drip... If I'm feeling secure and confident, I order my usual, "grande non-fat vanilla latte". And if I'm feeling daring and adventurous...I choose one of the holiday drinks! Coffee is the PERFECT self identifier!

Plus....when you get it for free...an added ego boost! PERFECT!

Lisa said...

Ok, so what I was going to say yesterday was...

You get free coffee...but I get free drugs!

Explanation: I went to the doctor on Monday night because my TMJ was really bothering me. She gave me a bunch of prescriptions and when I went to get them filled, the guy behind the counter smiled and said, "There'll be no charge for those." I was so confused!! Was he trying to pick up on me? Or are my new health benefits so good that prescriptions are covered? I actually said to him, "I'm so confused." He just smiled again and said, "Have a nice night." Weird! So WEIRD!