Saturday, December 01, 2007

Imagine

I knew this by what Jenni has told me, and I have seen it with my own eyes but this really solidified it in my brain for some reason.
Can you imagine if our Presidents weren't so controversial and deserved this type of respect from the American people? I think our nation would be less angry as a whole.
Not to say that Thailand doesn't have crime or any anger in the public but they are just not a confrontational kingdom. Take a look at the Coup last year, as far as I know it was a pretty peaceful take over- Jenni didn't even know it was being shown as a big deal on foreign television.
The Thais have this King that they all love and respect because his actions command it. All we ever hear about with our Presidents is how they lie and cheat.
I know there is completely different politics involved here but seriously when was the last time we had a completely genuine leader of our country? Have we ever?
I don't know why I am even ranting about this, Politics is SO not my thing. I'll leave it to Susan and Aaryn now. They always have so much political information that I could never come back with a comparable educated response. I have a sneaking suspicion they absorb their knowledge from osmosis.
And also why is it that I can't think of anything to write about with NaBloPoMo and then it ends and here I am posting again. Sheesh.

2 comments:

susan m said...

I read somewhere that the problem is due to America's heterogeneity. There is no universally accepted self-image in our culture -- no blueprint that causes the majority to say, "Yes, I see myself in that person, I believe s/he thinks like I do."

When Americans look at their elected leaders, they don't identify with them and as a result they don't trust them. Consequently when an elected leader makes a difficult or unpopular decision, distrust kicks in and people are dissatisfied.

I'm not talking about Bush and the war here -- I'm talking about any politician who tries to raise taxes or even come up with a compromise. If you don't trust someone, chances are you won't have any faith in what they do.

In Thailand, like Japan or Norway, the cultural identity is much stronger and more cohesive. So there is greater trust in elected leaders, and things can happen much more easily and peacefully. That doesn't necessarily guarantee that they're the right things -- but whatever "it" is, it's easier to accomplish.

and yes.... I learned this by osmosis.

Hilary said...

Wow, I want to borrow Susan M's books and put them under my pillow, that sounds really interesting.

I really think that part of the whole "We hate our President thing" has to do with our culture. We value independence and freedom, they value harmony. So while we are uncomfortable with a hierarchal political system, they are happy, and seem to flourish in it.

I want a mighty ruler too, someone that I can be proud of. Someone who is different. I am gonna pull a George Costanza next election day and have an opposite event. Whoever is most different from everone else who was in the Oval Office is who I am voting for.

PS- I know I love pink but this really explains my robe. I am sooo wearing it right now.