Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What did I just agree to?

I am not a huge shopper but I do like clothes. Being short and wide its hard to find something that looks good and is comfortable. So why did I just agree to Karyn's Challenge here?
I have been accused of being a bit of a tree hugger, and I do really hug trees sometimes as illustrated here:



















(photo by ryan gwillim)

However, I don't always do my part to save the planet. That's right, I admit that sometimes I get lazy and use plastic bags instead of washing out my sandwich Tupperware and reusing it. I often forget to bring my reusable bags to the store and although I try to have them stuff everything in one bag I don't always say anything when they double bag it.
I do want to do my part in simple living though. I want a garden I actually use and I want to be able to say that I am honestly trying to live more green without thinking of my horrible consumer habits in the back of my mind. And I don't want to be a trend that fades in a couple months. If I don't do my part who is going to do it for me?
So even though I feel like I am signing a contract that scares the crap out of me, Thank you Karyn for kicking me in the butt and making me live up to the accusations of tree hugger in at least a small way.
As Karyn puts it "in the name of recycling, living simply, and polar bears. I vow not to purchase any new clothing for the next 2 years." (Although I might change the polar bears to owls, they are cuter.)
Anyone else in? You should take the challenge too, everyone is doing it. (note the peer pressure...)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could do this, but alas, I am a "new" girl. Shoes used gives me the willies. However, I do purchase more than I need of many things - food (which gets wasted), supplies, clothes, etc. I shall do better.

I work with someone who read a book 30 years ago entitled, "Live Simply, So Other May Simply Live." I think that should be our mantra.

karyn said...

Tamara, I enjoy you very much. I'm so pleased you signed on. And as a freakishly tall girl, I'm with you on the hard to fit... we'll have to be strong.

love!

Katester said...

I'm pretty sure if I publicly signed up for this and asked others to do the same, I might just lose my job as marketing manager for a clothing company. I'll do my part in other ways. :)

Unknown said...

sometime last year I vowed that I was only going to buy my clothes at thrift & resale stores -- with the exception of shoes, purses and underwear. Ya gotta draw the line somewhere and I'm with Wendy, used shoes are icky. But for clothes, I enjoy the hunt and thrifted clothes can be more interesting than what you see in the stores. I've broken my rule on a few occasions but for the most part I've stuck with it.

It's great when someone gets all pious about how green they are... you can just sit back and smile :-)

Tamara said...

Oh yes, I will not be purchasing undergarments at the used stores...ewwwy. However the shoe depends on the extent of the wear and if it looks nast. but I don't buy shoes that often anyway.